Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The REAL Get Rich Quick Scheme

The internet is full of get rich schemes that just wind up filling your inbox with more and more useless junk that sends you around in circles through various websites and empties your wallet. I know because I've been sucked into a few.

The effects of thoughtless spending don't just disappear overnight. The same goes for my previous shopping fetish. The only real way to get rich quick is to ditch your credit cards and spend wisely. Could you imagine where you would be without the interest rates cutting you to pieces.

It's the Devil

Sometimes when I'd shop I'd listen to that little voice inside, you know the one that says, 'Just put it on your credit card and worry about it tomorrow.' The reality is that I should have been listening to my inner angel instead of my 'inner devil' (story of my life, really)! Often the best way to resist unnecessary purchases is to think about it for a few days first.

Put The Credit Cards Away

It's a simple approach, but leaving the credit cards at home when you go shopping is a good way to ensure you don't partake in self abuse.

Pack Your Lunch

I used to live on sushi, salad sandwiches and noodles from the vendors nearby. The fact of the matter is a salad sandwich costs less than a dollar to make yourself but you'll pay maybe three times that from a store. Noodles and sushi are the same. I'm a hopeless chef but I sure can slap a salad sandwich together.

Give up the Night Life

I guess this is easy for me to say now that I'm a stay at home mother. In my younger days I would have run away from anyone suggesting I give up my social life. Fact is, there is no greater strain on a pocket than a very active social life. Try staying at home and watching a dvd instead of paying twenty bucks for movie tickets. Try restricting those night club visits, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment